Monday, April 13, 2020

Penguins aplenty





So, what is the story behind the team of penguins?

It all started in summer five years ago when I subscribed to a knitting magazine that was advertising for knitters to make miniature hats for Innocent Smoothie bottles to raise funds for the Age UK Big Knit campaign.  For each Innocent Smoothie sold with a hat on, Innocent Smoothie would donate 25p to Age UK.  I had loads of yarn already and there were many designs freely available, most of which would not take too long to make, so I decided this could be my lunch time activity at work. 

As you might imagine, knitting in the office environment caused some curious looks.  Some people were brave and came to ask what I was doing.  When I explained and showed them the collection of patterns that were available, I was asked if they could buy directly from me rather than having to wait until the hats were available on the bottles in November.  Other people asked if I could make them specific designs.  I agreed and set a price of £1 for a hat from stock and £2 for a custom order with all the funds going to Age UK.  Initially it was only those sitting in the same department that ordered and bought them but, as people saw them atop bottles on desks, word got out and I received more and more requests plus one variation on this – could I make it so that the chosen design would sit on the desk, not atop a bottle, more like an ornament?  I considered for a moment and said I thought it would be possible but to let me try first.  You see, the patterns were all for fitting the top of a Smoothie bottle.  To make any of the designs a desktop ornament meant I needed to design a base for them.

I knitted up the design that had been requested – I cannot recall what it was now but it may well have been a penguin – and then sat and pondered how to effect a base.  I needed a circle.  I could not recall having knitted one before so looked through patterns I had until I found the inspiration I needed.  It was a pattern for some tiny flowers, knitted in a straight line that when sewn up became a circle.  That gave me the guiding principle of how it was done, next was to work out the exact pattern to provide the correct size of base.  It took a few attempts but I finally worked it out.  I stuffed the hat with toy stuffing and sewed the base to it.  After a little manipulation to make sure that the stuffing was distributed correctly and that the hat stood up unaided, success was declared!

The recipient of the stuffed hat was exceedingly happy and showed friends and colleagues.  The upshot?  An increase in the number of requests for stuffed hats until there were more of those than standard hats.  The penguins and snowmen were very popular because their hats and scarves afforded the opportunity to customise them to suit the recipient.  In general the orders were for one or two at a time until the day I was stopped by one of the building security guards.  He asked me if there was any limit on the number that could be ordered.  He asked if there was any restriction on colour.  When I confirmed he could have as many as he wanted of whatever colour so long as I could obtain it, he explained that his son was a Tottenham Hotspur fan and that he would like 11 penguins in Spurs colours to give to his son as a special gift.

Standard 4-4-2 formation
So that is the story of the team of penguins but it is not the end of what the Big Knit started…. 😀

Click here to read more about The Big Knit

No comments:

Post a Comment